Who can be referred?
It is our aim at Home-Start Bradford District to operate an open referral policy ensuring that support is available to any family who is experiencing stress or difficulty. We have several funded projects and encourage you to get in touch to see if your potential referral is eligible for Home-Start support. Our 3 main current projects are:
- Home-Start Better Start, part of the Better Start Bradford team of projects for families who are expecting a baby or who have a child up to 3 years old. The family must live in one of 3 wards - Bradford Moor, Bowling & Barkerend or Little Horton. This project is funded by Better Start Bradford Big Lottery Fund.
- Keighley Building Family Resilience, for any family in the Keighley constituency, who has at least one child under 5 years of age. This project is funded the the Big Lottery Fund
- Stronger Families, as part of the Stronger Families Programme across Bradford and Leeds, we support families in Bradford who are facing challenges in being able to develop their skills, move towards the world of work and secure employment. Referrals for involvement in this programme need to go through the Bradford Hub Manager based at Barnardos. Contact Cath Ormerod, Hub Manager, Email: email@example.com Telephone: 01274 513300. For more information click here
Please contact us if your family does not fit into any of these categories as we may have additional funding and still be able to help.
To download our referral form click here
Who can make referrals?
Families can refer themselves, or be referred to Home-Start Bradford District by any agency, e.g. Health Visitor, Social Worker, Family Support Worker, Midwife, Children's Centres, Voluntary Sector worker etc.
We only restrict referrals where there is a lack of resources.
How do I make a referral?
For each referral made a Referral Form should be completed.
Before sending in a Referral Form families must be consulted and informed of the content of the Referral Form.
All referrals received will be assessed to determine whether or not:
* The family has willingly chosen to be supported by Home-Start Bradford District
* The referral falls within the remit of the Scheme
* The referrer needs to provide further information prior to a visit by the Family & Volunteer Co-ordinator
* The Scheme is likely to have the resources to support the family
Families who wish to refer themselves can call the office on 01274 666711 without completing a referral form. A member of staff will take all the relevant information from you when you call.
What happens if a referral is refused?
If the referral does not fall within the remit of the Scheme or there is not a suitable, available volunteer to provide support, the referral will be informed that Home-Start Bradford District cannot help on this occasion.
What happens if a referral is accepted?
All families that are accepted for Home-Start Bradford District support will receive an initial visit by a Family & Volunteer Co-ordinator before support is offered to clarify their needs and the support that Home-Start Bradford District can offer.
Do you have a waiting list?
Home-Start Bradford District aims to provide support to families as soon as possible but where there is not a suitable volunteer available the referrer will be informed and asked to let the family know. You may be asked to re-refer at a future date.
How will I be kept informed of the progress of the referral?
Referrers will be informed by the Co-ordinator:
* Whether the referral has been accepted or not
* When a family is matched with a volunteer
* When support to a family ends
How are volunteers matched with families?
The Co-ordinator pays careful attention to matching volunteers' skills and experience to the needs of families. Many factors are taken into consideration, including:
* The family's needs
* The volunteer's aptitudes, skills and experience
* Practical considerations: geography, transport and time
* Mutual interests or life experience
* Issues around culture, gender, background and disability
The success of Home-Start Bradford District support is dependent on the relationship that develops between the family and the volunteer, Co-ordinators make every effort to match families sensitively and appropriately. The Co-ordinator always accompanies the volunteer on the first visit to introduce the volunteer to the family and agree the ground rules for visiting.
Do you have a confidentiality policy?
All personal information about parents and families is treated as confidential, to be discussed only as necessary with the Co-ordinator in support of the volunteer and to assist the family. Any disclosure of confidential information to any other person may only be undertaken with the express permission of the parents for the purpose of assisting the family, except where it is considered necessary for the welfare and protection of a child when information shall be shared with the appropriate authority.
Home-Start Bradford District Confidentiality Policy Home-Start Bradford District Information Sharing Policy
How long is support offered for?
Volunteers provide continuous, regular support for a period of time consistent with a family`s needs. These are assessed initially and reviewed periodically. Home-Start Bradford District's aim is to encourage families towards independence so that the volunteer is no longer needed. The review process will determine how long the volunteer's support is likely to be needed and clear plans will be made for ending the support in discussion with the volunteer and family.
Do you offer other support in addition to home visiting volunteers?
How are volunteers screened?
All volunteers meet the requirements of our personal specification. They are interviewed before being invited to attend a 10 day Preparation Course and undergo a second interview before a decision is made by the Family & Volunteer Co-ordinator about their suitability for placement with a Home-Start Bradford District family. We take up two references, an enhanced DBS check and a Social Care check.
Should you have any concerns regarding services received from Home-Start Bradford District, please follow this link Complaints Procedure